A robust configurator should have the ability to optimize and connect end-to-end processes for machinery companies, from initial design through sales, production, delivery, and after sales.
Converting customers’ or sales peoples’ wishes into ERP data, quickly, and without errors, is the key to a truly efficient order processing chain. Whether you sell or produce huge mining equipment machinery, high precision medical devices or small and very accurate laser devices, you need to manage a large number of options, rules and calculations. Country-specific regulations impact possible choices. Marketing also affects models, options, and promotions you want to make available to specific segments.
Machines are complex, and selling machines is even harder
Simply put, machines are complex. Every customer order for machinery or equipment is packed with diverse requirements and in most cases strict specifications.
- If your design, engineering, and sales teams aren’t working together, processes can’t be efficient.
- How is the machine design from your engineering team presented to sales? They may be working with Excel spreadsheets that seem complete, with product specifications, prices, margins, and customer conditions.
- If product or specification information changes, or isn’t complete, sales has to guess and estimate about options and specifications. This may not be an efficient way to keep them informed and updated about products, much less help them present product options to customers accurately.
- Quotes can be based on guesswork, with incorrect discounts, outdated information, and the wrong calculations.
There’s no room for risk in the machinery industry. Your ability to survive and thrive depends on precise orders that capture all variables and can be executed quickly. One ordering error can result in frustrated employees, production delays, cost overruns, and ultimately, loss of customer confidence. Your challenges are to launch new products faster and at lower costs, without compromising accuracy and quality. Product offerings need to be standardized while still meeting customer-specific demands. You need to synchronize sales, engineering, and manufacturing departments to ensure that orders are 100% accurate and will be produced on time and within budget.
e-Con: Accelerating order processing, production, and revenue
Bring all challenges together and resolve them with one robust solution: the e-Con Sales and Product Configurator. e-Con can help you standardize custom offerings and ensure quote through delivery precision:
- All product information is centralized, integrated with Microsoft Dynamics ERP and CRM, and easily accessible online, offline, and via a wide range of devices —every team in the ecosystem views real-time data that makes sense for their role. If information changes for a configuration, a quote, or any product-related area, all teams impacted are informed and up to date.
- Our strong rules engine provides Guided Selling that ensures sales people and customers select options and accessories that you’ve set up as feasible. There’s no need to worry about configurations appearing that production can’t work with. Standardized configurations can still have many flavors—and they are reliable and quick to generate and customize.
- e-Con calculates all essential data for costing, pricing, weight, and other variables in real time.
- Results can be pushed to (Dynamics) ERP or CRM in seconds and processed into orders that include items, BOMs, and routings—production can literally start within minutes.—a jump start for production.
The overarching benefit: e-Con enables machinery companies to automate and synchronize quote through ordering processes, including all variables and calculations. Salespeople can work with ease and confidence in the field with multiple devices. Data and actual configurations can be easily updated and shared across the organization. There’s much, much more—but it is an ideal solution for an industry that thrives on balancing speed and precision.